Lots of Flushing x bytes to y would block messages

Terry T terryhwt at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:48:35 CEST 2016

The server has a 1G symmetrical fibre line. It has been speedtested to
various local servers to be close to 800-900M. When there is only a single
client, there isn't much problem and as soon as the connection is made, the
ping time through to tunnel is a respectable 30ms. As soon as a few more
clients are connected, ping time degrades to hundreds and sometimes seconds
and with dropped packets. Dataflow would appear stopped and the tinc log on
the server would literally filled with hundreds of flush....would block
messages. All hosts are running latest tinc-1.0 stable.

The server is configured as a bridge and is relaying multicasts
continuously.  Below is the server configuration.

Name = tserver
AddressFamily = ipv4
BindToAddress = 192.168.21.254 30000
KeyExpire = 28800
ReplayWindow = 0
DeviceStandby = no
DeviceType = tap
DirectOnly = yes
Mode = hub
ProcessPriority = high
ClampMSS = yes
Cipher = none
Digest = none
MACLength = 0
PMTUDiscovery = yes

I have taken out what I believe is performance sapping options in an effort
to boost performance.

All clients (Windows 7) configuration is identical save its own name.

Name = <client name>
ConnectTo = tserver
AddressFamily = ipv4
KeyExpire = 28800