Securing tinc config files

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jan 25 15:57:55 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 02:40:53PM +0300, Yazeed Fataar wrote:

> 2. Trust my VPS provider LOL....
>
> I read this from digitalocean "Privacy Policy"
>
> Server Data
>
> *DigitalOcean does not have access to its users’ server data. The backend
> is locked away from the users’ support staff and only engineering staff has
> access to the physical servers where users’ virtual machines reside.
> DigitalOcean does not store users’ passwords or private SSH keys.
> DigitalOcean also does not request user login information to their servers.
> DigitalOcean does not review or audit any user data.*

As Graham said, you might be just fine trusting DigitalOcean. They would
normally have no interest in what your VM is doing, and if they have a
privacy statement it means you could sue them if they violated that
privacy.

On the other hand, whatever they say, they effectively do have access to
your server data whenever they want to.