tinc 1.0.26 on Ubuntu 15.10 x64 sometimes crashes on startup

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Jan 22 15:04:19 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 01:32:08PM +0100, Maximilian H. wrote:

> on an x64 ubuntu 15.10 desktop tinc 1.0.26 sometimes crashes on startup
> of the machine. eth0 (via good old cat6 cable, no wireless) is
> configured to use dhcp. The crash does not happen often, I have seen it
> in total maybe 2 or 3 times since installing 15.10 while it was still in
> alpha ( July 2015 ) until today. The desktop is not shut down very
> often, maybe once a week or every two weeks or even in longer intervals.

It would be very helpful if you have some logs of what is happening
during startup. You can edit /etc/default/tinc, and ensure the following
line is present, without a # in front:

EXTRA="-d"

This will enable some debugging. You can change it into "-d5" for a lot
more debugging messages. But in any case, things should be logged to
/var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages.