tinc running openwrt (mikrotik metarouter mips)

Lars Kruse lists at sumpfralle.de
Wed Jan 20 02:22:23 CET 2016

Hello Yazeed,

> When I did fresh install of openwrt , i tried "opkg install tinc" . It then
> said "dependency required , kernel (= 3.3.8-1-" as I was on 2.6.31.

this indicates that your sources file (/etc/opkg.conf) pointed to a more recent
release of openwrt than the one that you installed.
The proper action at this moment would have been to change the repository
source urls in /etc/opkg.conf to a matching release.

See the FAQ:
 http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/faq/after.installation#cannot_satisfy_dependencies

> I then downloaded 3.3.8-1 and did opkg install kernel.

As far as I understand openwrt, this is something that just will not work.
Every installed package will end up in the "overlay" filesystem. This special
filesystem is not active during bootup - thus you cannot boot the fresh kernel.

"Upgrading" an openwrt system by installing new packages is usually not possible
due to the compressed read-only filesystem (squashfs) which is used for booting.
A "sysupgrade" with a new image is the proper way to go.

Lars