tinc running openwrt (mikrotik metarouter mips)

Graham Cobb g+tinc at cobb.uk.net
Tue Jan 19 18:01:59 CET 2016

On 19/01/16 03:57, Yazeed Fataar wrote:
> Hi Marek
>
> I managed to setup everything in openwrt. However I am getting errors
> when trying to run tinc daemon. Below is my debug output. Please help..
> How do I fix tunnel interface error?
>
> root at OpenWrt:/etc/tinc/vpn# tincd -n vpn -D -d3
>
> tincd 1.0.21 (Mar  9 2014 18:26:59) starting, debug level 3
>
> /dev/net/tun is a Linux ethertap device

On my OpenWrt system, the corresponding log entry says:

/dev/net/tun is a Linux tun/tap device (tun mode)

I don't know if that is a real problem.  And I don't know how the tun
device gets created -- I don't remember having to do anything special
(but it was a long time ago when I set it up).

However, I do start tinc using "/etc/init.d/tinc start", not by running
tincd directly.

> Executing script tinc-up
>
> ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
>
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>
> Script tinc-up exited with non-zero status 1

That doesn't look good!

My /etc/tinc/NETWORK/tinc-up file contains:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.0.0
/etc/init.d/firewall reload

(with the real IP address for this node of the VPN instead of 1.2.3.4,
of course).

I do remember some work being needed to get the firewall set up
correctly.  But you aren't getting that far.

I would support Maxim's suggestion: make sure you have a simple tinc
network working on ordinary Linux systems first, to make sure you know
how the keys and addressing work.

Graham