Tinc 1.0 - Limit Bandwidth

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Feb 22 08:16:27 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:17:41AM +0300, Yazeed Fataar wrote:

> I am trying to limit one of my tinc nodes to only consume 100Kbps bandwidth
> (Send and Receive). I am not sure if I am setting the right option under
> its main configuration file (tinc.conf) . Will these options serve my
> purpose? I have set them up but the Tunnel Adapter (running on Windows)
> still consumes all the bandwidth available.
>
> UDPRcvBuf = 12500
> UDPSndBuf = 12500

No, these options only control the size of some buffers, it has no direct
impact on bandwidth. There is no bandwidth limiting feature in tinc. You
can use other programs to do this for you. For Windows, have a look at
this page:

https://superuser.com/questions/135719/how-can-i-limit-bandwidth-of-other-programs

Also, in general you can only control your outgoing bandwidth.