Tinc Router Mode - PING RESULT is destination host unreachable

Lars Kruse lists at sumpfralle.de
Fri Feb 12 18:24:13 CET 2016

Hi Eric,

Am Fri, 12 Feb 2016 23:51:59 +0800
schrieb Eric Yau <ericyaukhy at hotmail.com>:

> [..]
> Question: On home side (OpenWrt Router) and company side (Windows 7 PC), I
> can ping all the IP addresses. But on Home PC (Behind the OPENWRT Router), I
> cannot ping to Company (Windows 7 PC) and Company (Server A). The PING
> RESULT is destination host unreachable. Any idea about that?

at this point I would usually try to find out the following details:
* does the ping packet reach its target?
* does the request packet contain the expected source address?
* is a response packet generated?
* does the response packet go through the expected stations?

All of the above questions can be answered by running tcpdump (e.g. "tcpdump -ni
any icmp") on the machine in question.

It will probably boil down to a routing/nat or a firewall (iptables) issue, I
guess. The "destination host unreachable" error message should indicate which
host fails or refuses to deliver the packet.

Cheers,
Lars