dns resolution behind proxy

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Oct 27 14:08:36 CET 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:33:35PM +0000, Uwe Werler wrote:

>  I wonder why tinc tries to resolve host names before connection even
> with configured (socks5) proxy which fails behind restrictive firewalls.

You are right that it shouldn't be necessary to do this with SOCKS5.
With SOCKS4, it needs to know the exact address, and then I just used
that for SOCKS5 as well.

> Is there any "workaround"?

The workaround is to do resolve the hostnames yourself and replace the
hostnames in the Address statements with numeric addresses. I'll try to
change tinc so it will allow connections via SOCKS5 even if it cannot
resolve the hostname itself.