Problem fixed, still like to build tinc

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Oct 20 11:37:16 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:08:35AM +0200, Henk van der Meer wrote:

> Using the source I tracked the problem down to a call to getaddrinfo
> that failed.  After a lot of trying I found out that somehow my host
> file got notepad++ macintosh file endings. Never even knew it existed.

Oh, maybe I'll have to add proper handling of Macintosh file endings to
tinc then...

> Anyhow changing that to Dos\Windows fixed my problem.  Maybe the error
> message could include the error number. Looking/google-ing for a not
> English (Dutch) error message is hard.

The error message you got is unfortunately very unhelpful whether in
English or Dutch.

> This proofs the added value of having the source code. being able to build
> it would even be better. So if anybody has some pointers than please.

Personally, I cross-compile tinc using MinGW on Linux. There is a
description of how you can do that yourself here:

http://tinc-vpn.org/examples/cross-compiling-windows-binary/

It should be possible to build it using MinGW on Windows itself in a
similar way, but without using the --host option or the "mingw" script
from the cross-compilation example of course.