Tinc + OSPF - is it feasible?

Sven-Haegar Koch haegar at sdinet.de
Fri Oct 2 00:22:26 CEST 2015

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015, Răzvan Sandu wrote:

> What I need is to start an interior dynamic routing daemon (OSPF?) on all
> routers (tinc or non-tinc) and share the routing information between them
> all (*including* those over tinc tunnels). The final goal is that if some
> random router/gateway fails, the network reconfigures itself without manual
> intervention (without the need to modify static routes on non-tinc routers).
>
> Could you please point me to some good documentation / examples for
> accomplishing this (if technically possible) ?
>
> How do I "inject" tinc routes in OSPF and vice-versa? Should the tinc
> virtual NETWORK interface participate in a Quaga/OSPF process, together
> with the other physical Ethernet private interfaces? How should
> /etc/tinc/NETWORK/tinc-up look like in such cases?

I think your best bet is to use tinc in switch mode instead of routing,
and configure the tinc interface like if you had one big ethernet
segment connecting all the tinc nodes - and then run you OSPF on it.

(aka have one dedicticated subnet for all the tinc nodes, give each node
one ip out of it, do not put static routes for your other subnets into
the tinc config, and let the OSPF daemon add and remove those routes as
needed)

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.