Tinc + OSPF - is it feasible?

Răzvan Sandu rsandu2007 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:52:44 CEST 2015

Hello,

Please tell me if it's possible to use tinc together with OSPF (instead of
static routes in LAN). By OSPF I mean Quagga's GNU/Linux daemon.

Namely, I have a group of LANs (private 192.168.x.0/24 each).

Each LAN has a GNU/Linux default gateway, 192.168.x.1, that also connects
to the Internet via a public IP address (does NAT and firewall for the LAN
"behind" it).

tinc daemon runs on each default gateway, connecting all LANs in a mesh.
Today, on each default gateway, the /etc/tinc/NETWORK/tinc-up looks like:

ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.x.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
ip route replace 10.0.0.0/8 dev $INTERFACE
ip route replace 172.16.0.0/12 dev $INTERFACE

so all private addreses are routed via the mesh.

Now other gateways/routers (non-tinc, non-defaut, with private adddreses
only) are installed in each LAN, connecting them via „backup” links (purely
private Ethernets).

What I need is to start an interior dynamic routing daemon (OSPF?) on all
routers (tinc or non-tinc) and share the routing information between them
all (*including* those over tinc tunnels). The final goal is that if some
random router/gateway fails, the network reconfigures itself without manual
intervention (without the need to modify static routes on non-tinc routers).

Could you please point me to some good documentation / examples for
accomplishing this (if technically possible) ?

How do I "inject" tinc routes in OSPF and vice-versa? Should the tinc
virtual NETWORK interface participate in a Quaga/OSPF process, together
with the other physical Ethernet private interfaces? How should
/etc/tinc/NETWORK/tinc-up look like in such cases?

Thanks a lot,
Răzvan