Authenticating VPN addresses: a proposal

Рысь lynx at lynxlynx.tk
Mon Nov 23 09:48:08 CET 2015

I am, like you, have the same network: exactly two master servers which
are trusted, and a number of clients that connect to one of them, or to
both (this depends on which physical network they reside, we have
city-wide LANs).

I use StrictSubnets and I happy with them. That was choice from the
beginning. But it also enforced to have all node keys and configuration
data on each node. Up to Sep2015, I employed a central http server for
that, like chaosvpn does. But that central server lost it's key (it was
an embeddish system) and the service stopped working.

Since that I was forced to implement a protocol extension to tinc that
adds such a service directly inside the daemon and it now performs
perfectly. You can find an announcement about it earlier in tinc
archives of Oct2015.

I don't think StrictSubnets is flawed. It works nice, and embedded
tincs running it has no issues. I think that network must be
consistent. Hence every node must know about others. There is also
TunnelServer option if you want to manage network through gateways.