Packet loss when using multiple subnet#weight entries

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Nov 18 11:22:08 CET 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 08:25:28AM +0100, Armin Schindler wrote:

> But I have a question regarding "Subnet=" possibilities. When I have more than
> one Server acting as host for VMs and need to have automatic routing to
> all VMs on these servers, can I use tinc to create this routing automatically?
>
> My idea is to have a script which is started when a VM is started/stopped
> which will add/remove an Subnet=x.x.x.x/32 entry for this VMs IP address in
> the local hosts file of that node and send a HUP signal to tincd.
> Will tinc announce this new routing destination to all other nodes immediately?

Yes, that will work. It might be a bit easier of you use the tinc 1.1
prerelease, or at least use the "tinc" command from 1.1, so you can add
and remove subnets simply by running:

tinc -n <netname> add Subnet x.x.x.x/32

If you are running a 1.1preX tincd, it will automatically get notified,
if you are running a 1.0.x tincd, you have to do "tincd -n <netname>
-kHUP" to have it update its Subnets.