Multiple entry node support

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Mar 18 09:53:01 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 02:28:19PM +0900, Tatsuyuki Ishi wrote:

> I'm trying to make a VPN network with the help of my friends.
> Tinc seems to support multiple connect to options, but isn't it tricky? Will it cause unsynchronized hosts etc?

You can ConnectTo multiple nodes without problems. The only requirement
is that every node in the VPN has a unique Name.

> Will the 1.1 invite support it?

In principle it already does. On the node where you run "tinc invite", a
file will be created with the configuration that will be passed on to
the node that does "tinc join". You can edit this file to provide the
new node with information about other nodes. The invitation files are
created in /etc/tinc/<netname>/invitations/. Normally they look like
this:

Name = newnodename
Netname = netname
ConnectTo = myname
#---------------------------#
Name = myname
Address = ...
Ed25519PublicKey = ...

You can add ConnectTo's to the first part. You can also append
information about other nodes, first append:

Name = <nodename>

Then append the contents of hosts/<nodename>. You can automate it by
writing a script named "invitation-created" in the same directory as
tinc-up. The environment variables that are available to you in that
script are: NAME (local node's name), NETNAME, NODE (new node's name),
INVITATION_FILE (path to the invitatio nfile) and INVITATION_URL.

> PS: every nodes are not 24/7 on, maybe a node will be online but another not.

You can use multiple ConnectTo lines, or try setting "AutoConnect = yes"
instead.