endian problems on FreeBSD?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Mar 10 02:10:51 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 07:12:13PM -0400, Brett Wynkoop wrote:

> I have tinc on the following:
>
> 2 - x86 FreeBSD boxes
> 1 - ARM FreeBSD box
> 1 - x86 Macintosh
>
> All the x86 boxes can speak with each other, but none of the x86 boxes
> can speak with the ARM box.

First of all, tinc should not have any problem handling mixed
endianness. Also, most ARM systems nowadays are running in little-endian
mode anyway. Debian on a Beaglebone Black sure is, I don't know about
FreeBSD though.

> The ARM box says:
>
> [root at beaglebone /usr/local/etc/tinc/wdl]# tincd -D -n wdl
> tincd 1.0.24 (Mar  8 2015 14:55:57) starting, debug level 0
> /dev/tun0 is a Generic BSD tun device
> add net 192.168.254.0: gateway 192.168.254.113 fib 0: route already in table
> Script tinc-up exited with non-zero status 1
> Ready
>
> I have no idea why it complains about the route and fib 0 as I use the
> same up script as on my two x86 FreeBSD boxes and they do not complain.

Well, it says you are trying to add a route that already exists. Maybe
that is indeed the case?

> Bogus data received from net01e (199.89.147.1 port 655)
>
> Before someone says "replace your keys" I went down that road already.
> I verified I had the right keys on all systems.  In addition I have
> replaced and repropagated the beaglebone keys 3 times.

Some problem with the keys is the most likely explaination for "bogus
message", however if that is ruled out the next likely problem is the
use of "PrivateKey" or "PublicKey" statements in config files, when you
actually meant "PrivateKeyFile" or "PublicKeyFile". Check if you have
any of those statements. If so, I recommend removing them altogether.

If that was not the problem, then another issue might be the version of
OpenSSL on your Beaglebone not supporting the Cipher or Digest
algorithms that you are using.