Forwarding in switch mode

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Thu Sep 25 19:47:17 CEST 2014

Most likely, you'll find that B is not actually forwarding packets.
Instead, what happens is that tinc automatically establishes a direct
UDP tunnel behind the scenes between A and C, allowing A and C to talk
directly without going through B. That happens even if you didn't
manually set up a metaconnection between A and C.

What you really want in that case is to (1) make sure that packets are
never sent outside of manually configured links, and (2) disable
forwarding. (1) is achieved by using the IndirectData option, and (2)
is achieved using the DirectOnly option. Therefore you need to use
both (on A and C) at the same time to achieve your goal. This is
explained in the documentation for DirectOnly:

"When this option is enabled, packets that cannot be sent directly to
the destination node, but which would have to be forwarded by an
intermediate node, are dropped instead.  When combined with the
IndirectData option, packets for nodes for which we do not have a meta
connection with are also dropped."