Identical Subnets with equal weight

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Nov 18 21:23:57 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:35:17AM +0100, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:

> The man page, in the part about "Subnet" directives, does not specifiy
> what happens when two nodes announce the same Subnet with the same weight.
> Is one of the two nodes chosen arbitrarily?  If so, how?
>
> My use-case is to announce a default route from two different nodes of the
> same Tinc network.  I would like to have some sort of load-balancing
> between the gateways, but a simple fallback mechanism would also be fine.

Tinc does not do load-balancing, only failover. If you want to be
explicit in which node is preferred, assign weights. If multiple nodes
have the same Subnet with the same weight, then out of those nodes that
are online, one is chosen deterministically. I did not document the way
tinc chooses a node, because it may change in the future.

Currently, it choses the node which has the smallest name
alphabetically. It might be changed in the future to chose the node
which is closest to the local node.