routes on windows "guests/clients"

Aaron Anderson anderson.aaron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:11:20 CET 2014

In this exercise, I'm on a remote computer (work, laptop at starbucks,
whatever) and want to get to my entire home network. The remote
computer is running Windows 7.

Everything is working. I can access everything in my home network. (I
put a static route in my router for the node running tinc) - But on
the remote computer(s) I am having to put a route statement in.

Home network is 10.10.1.0/24 and I have statically assigned
10.10.10.x/24 addresses for all of the tinc adapters.

This is the config of the host that is the "gateway" to my home machine.
====================== /tinc/hosts/aapc ======================
Address = 74.13x.4x.1x
Subnet = 10.10.1.0/24
Subnet = 10.10.10.101/32

-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
xxx
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
====================== /tinc/hosts/aapc ======================

On the remote machine I have an "up" script to add the route - but it
does not work as tinc tries to run it before windows has fully
negotiated something, and windows cries about the interface
(10.10.10.102 in this case) not existing. I can run it manually a
moment later and everything is kosher.
route add 10.10.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.102

It was my understanding that tinc handles the routing automatically
based on what is in the "subnet =" stanza.

1. Should I need to be using the route statement in the first place?
2. Am I doing this correctly? Maybe I'm completely off base.

Any input is appreciated.

Aaron