Cannot Ping after successful connection?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Mar 11 21:31:10 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:21:42PM +0000, Michael Munger wrote:

> I apologize for the TLDR-style email, but I wanted to demonstrate that I have done a lot of work (11 hours and at least 8 tutorials including the tinc docs) before asking for help.

No problem, you clearly explained your intentions, the setup and the
configuration files, that really helps.

> My basic problem is this: tinc appears to properly connect and authenticate
> the client to the server, but I cannot ping or access resources.
[...]
> root at web-services:/etc/tinc/webservices/hosts# cat webservices
> Compression=9
> Subnet=192.168.98.0/24
> Address=173.165.161.166
>
> root at web-services:/etc/tinc/webservices# cat tinc-up
> #!/bin/bash ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.98.1 NETMASK 255.255.255.0
[...]
> root at michael-desktop:/etc/tinc/webservices/hosts#cat webservices
> Compression=9
> Subnet=192.168.98.0/24
> Address=173.165.161.166

I assume you meant to cat Mint202 here, but I suspect that you have
Subnet=192.168.98.0/24 in hosts/Mint202 as well.

The Subnet statements should not contain the address range of the whole VPN,
but rather that part of the range that belongs to each individual node. So, you
should have Subnet=192.168.98.1 in hosts/webservices, and Subnet=192.168.98.2
in hosts/Mint202.

Other than that, your configuration looks fine, and you should not have to
change anything else.