Nagios monitoring of tinc

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Jun 15 12:34:02 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:06:25AM +0200, Nick Hibma wrote:

> Does any of you have a sensible way of monitoring tinc? I haven’t tried anything yet, sorry for that. I’d like to avoid log spamming like the check_ssh plugin does (‘10+ preauth' warnings a day).
>
> check_tcp is an option, but I was wondering whether anyone cooked up something more sensible.

It depends on what and how you want to monitor. If you only want to know
if a local tinc daemon is still running, then the following script could
be enough:

#!/bin/sh
kill -0 `cut -f 1 -d ' ' /var/run/tinc.NETNAME.pid`

If you want to monitor it remotely, then either ssh to the host running
tinc and run the above command, or run a tinc daemon on the Nagios host
and add host-up/down scripts to record which nodes are up, or if you use
tinc 1.1 you could use the "tinc info" command to check whether a node
is up or not.