Tinc + Tomato (firmware)

Lance Fredrickson lancethepants at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 02:32:13 CEST 2014

I've been running Tinc on my routers for several years. I thought I'd do
an integration of tinc with gui in Tomato firmware because I find it useful.
It's been working well for me, but I'm sure there's there's a bug or
two, or something I've overlooked.  Let me know of anything and I'll
correct it in a future release.

I created a tutorial for Tomato users here.
http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tinc-mesh-vpn-beta-testing.70257/

Firmware images available here. Currently implemented with tinc 1.1pre10.
http://files.lancethepants.com/Firmware/

Source here.
https://github.com/lancethepants/Toastman-Tinc

I made a good handful of images for MIPSR2 routers with 8MB+ flash
Linksys E900
Linksys E1200v2
Linksys E1500
Linksys E1550
Linksys E2000
Linksys E2500
Linksys E3000
Linksys E3200
Linksys E4200
Asus RT-N16 (tomato-K26USB-1.28...)
Belkin F7D8301 (Same firmware as RT-N16)
Asus RT-N66U/R (tomato-K26USB-NVRAM64K)

Probably other broadcom supported Tomato routers too.
Please make sure you flash the correct image. I can't be responsible if
you brick your router.
I'm using this on RT-N16, Belkin F7D8301, and Linksys E1550.
These should fit in routers with 8Mb flash, despite my file server
saying 8.1Mb (it's counting funny and calling them bigger). My Belkin
with 8MB flashed fine.
Images with and without VLAN support provided.

Currently in Tomato there are 3 main branches (Toastman, Raf, and Shibby).
While they collaborate together, each have their own distribution. I'm
hopeful at least one will adopt Tinc into their future releases. I'm on
the dev team, but they have the final say if they want it in their distro.
If they do, it will likely find it's way also into a few ARM supported
Tomato routers as well, likeAsus RT-n56u, Asus RT-n68u, and Netgear
r7000. Linksys wrt1900ac, should eventually be supported (not for a
while though).
You're supportive/positive feedback in the tomato forum may help them
make that decision. Otherwise I'll try and keep these images up-to-date
with Toastman upstream and Tinc releases.

-Lance