Network pause issue.

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jan 27 23:44:48 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:07:53PM -0700, Matthew Tolle wrote:

> I've got a 5 node setup here. My server "home" is the primary server that all other servers connect to. The configs on all the servers look like this:
[...]
> # cat tinc.conf
> Name = node1
> ConnectTo = home
> Mode = router
> AddressFamily = ipv4
> PingInterval = 600
> PingTimeout = 15
>
> 4 out of 5 nodes work just fine. Node 2 however has issues. It does work fine for 5-30m and then pauses my connection to it. It's still up. I can't ping it over the "pause time" with 0% packet loss. Any TCP connection over the link just pauses for a while. The odd thing is it doesn't timeout. In an SSH session to the box over the tinc link I'll type "ps -ef" and 10m later I'll get the response. SSH should timeout way before then so I'm not sure what's going on. It's not like that all the time. I get maybe 15-30m when it's working just fine and then 10m of network pause. While my SSH session is paused I can see that the app on the server is talking to my primary node over the tunnel. That seems odd.

Your configuration looks perfectly fine.

The 10 minutes period might correspond to the PingInterval setting. Try
changing that to see if that is true (if so, that helps narrow down the
problem). If you are using 1.1pre9, then it might be an issue with the new
protocol, which is enabled by default in that version. You could try disabling
it by setting ExperimentalProtocol = no in tinc.conf on all nodes. You could
also try going back to tinc 1.0.23 (you don't need to change the configuration
files).

Of course, it is strange that it only affects one node. Is there anything
different on that node compared to the others?