[Announcement] Tinc version 1.1pre10 released

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Feb 11 11:25:32 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 02:44:57PM -0700, Lance Fredrickson wrote:

> I'm having trouble compiling this.  I typically create a static
> binary for mips devices for use in routers of different firmwares.
> Typically I create static libraries on which tinc is dependent  (lzo
> zlib openssl ncurses readline) . In this release, tinc doesn't see
> the static libraries, just the development .h files when running
> ./configure.  So I compiled static and shared libraries, so it will
> make it through the configure script.  Then when I compile tinc I
> run
>
> make LIBS="-static -lcrypto -ldl -llzo2 -lz"
> and this typcically will give me static binaries.

"-static" should be in $LDFLAGS, not in $LIBS. Also, if you manually set $LIBS,
you are overriding the set of libraries that the configure script found. It
could be that that is the problem in your case (linker error messages are not
always very clear as to what the real reason for the errors are). You can replace:

$MAKE LIBS="-static -lcrypto -ldl -llzo2 -lz"
make install DESTDIR=$BASE/tinc

With one line:

$MAKE install LDFLAGS=-static DESTDIR=$BASE/tinc

> I think maybe it's trying to static link to libc. For some reason
> this release is hating anything I try to link statically.

It could also be that some libraries, that are normally found by the dynamic
linker at runtime, are missing when compiling statically. For example,
libreadline and libncurses normally depend on libtinfo, so when compiling
statically you have to add -ltinfo to $LIBS.