Current state of Tinc 1.1?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Dec 22 22:30:31 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 01:42:01AM +0100, Alexander Ypema wrote:

> So as probably any Tinc user, I noticed there are two versions: 1.0 and
> 1.1. On the website is explained that 1.1 is the stepping stone for 2.0 and
> that it has a lot of neat features *planned*. However, in the repositories,
> one usually finds version 1.0, and since I'm someone who prefers having
> everything run through repositories instead of manually updated, I want to
> know if it's worth it, if it's actually in a usable state, and if any of
> the 'planned' features are implemented.

There are four items listed for tinc 1.1 on http://tinc-vpn.org/goals/:

* Replaceable cryptography backend

Although the cryptography is now separated from the rest of the logic in
tinc, it is not really replaceable, since only OpenSSL is supported.
However, there is also a new protocol in tinc 1.1, which uses Ed25519
and ChaCha-Poly1305. The code for those algorithms is included in tinc,
so the new protocol has no dependencies on external libraries.

* Control socket

This is already implemented.

* Automatic connection management

This is mostly implemented (see the AutoConnect option).

* Automate setting up nodes

This is mostly implemented (see the "tinc init" command).

Something not listed in the goals is the new protocol that is already
implemented but not completely fixed yet. The new protocol provides
end-to-end encryption and authentication between nodes.

If you disable the new protocol (using ExperimentalProtocol = no), then
you can use most of the new features in tinc 1.1 without any problems.
It is also backwards compatible with tinc 1.0 nodes. So you can try out
1.1 by upgrading an existing node, and if you don't like it you can
switch back to 1.0 without worries.