Some questions about SPTPS

Tim Eggleston tim.lists at eggleston.ca
Wed Aug 13 00:37:48 CEST 2014

> I wholeheartedly agree. I often use tinc in "road warrior" scenarios
> where it is very convenient to be able to connect to the VPN even in
> extremely hostile network environments (the typical airport/hotel
> crappy Wi-Fi). I believe Skype is the champion in that category, and
> we should aspire to do the same.

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic for this thread (it totally is but
I'm going to plow on anyway!), but can you give me a quick precis of the
benefits that tinc would provide in a road-warrior scenario over
something like OpenVPN on tcp/443 (i.e. very unlikely to be blocked
anywhere)? The OpenVPN server already has secure routes to everywhere
else in my network, so the only connection I'm thinking about here is
the remote guy -> server, I'm not really considering the mesh
capabilities of tinc in this instance.

The adversary I'm worried about is evil sysadmins/wifi providers as
opposed to the NSA.

Tinc is definitely super cool and I have it working in a POC, but I'm
trying to decide if it's worth switching over fully.

Cheers!

  ---tim