Some questions about SPTPS

Sandy McArthur Jr sandy at mcarthur.org
Tue Aug 12 14:58:14 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Etienne Dechamps <etienne at edechamps.fr>
wrote:

> I believe we don't have the same perspective on the design philosophy - I
> prefer when failure modes are purely "black and white" - i.e. communication
> between two nodes either works or it doesn't. I dislike solutions where the
> system could "half-fail" in subtle and obscure ways - like a node ending up
> in the same "hash bucket" as another, flapping node, resulting in random
> packet loss. My rationale is that it's much easier to diagnose clear-cut
> issues (two nodes can't talk to each other) as opposed to spending hours
> trying to find out why some packets seem to get lost on some links at
> random times.

As a VPN user I appreciate and value your caution. But, I selected and
value that Tinc makes multiple attempts to work even in an unfavorable
environment. eg: if direct UDP doesn't work: TCP fallback or relaying
between other peers if necessary.

Personally, I would like to see more fallback methods such as listening on
multiple ports with protocol encapsulation (HTTP Proxy Connect tunneling) .
The more situations Tinc works without me having to think about it post
setup, the more value it provides to me.

--
Sandy McArthur, Jr.

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
- Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (1865), Vol. IV, p. 491