RE: Tinc Network Spikes

Mark Lopez m at silvenga.com
Wed Aug 6 22:57:48 CEST 2014

> Oh, that's quite a lot. First, which version of tinc are you using?
> Which Mode (router or switch) are you using? Are you bridging the VPN
interface with the LAN interface on any of the nodes?

Thanks for taking time to reply. I appreciate the time and experience that
developers put into projects like Tinc.

I'm using Tinc 1.0.24 from the Utopic Ubuntu (14.10?) repositions on all the
nodes (automated deployment, exact configs). The nodes are running a mix of
12.04 and 14.04 LTS Ubuntu. Each node is running under switch mode (forcing
TAP support and automatic routing). There is no bridging between interfaces
on any node.

The connection between some servers may not be the best. There might be a
correlation between the time of packet floods and when my monitoring server
losses connection with a node. If the floods are due to network issues or
that the flood causes issues is another story.

Some nodes constantly send larger amounts of packets overtime to another
node resulting in the "Got late or replayed packet" message in the logs. A
restart of the Tinc daemon on those nodes calms the network.

Side question: Is Tinc 1.1 stable (or predictable) for daily use? I'm
wondering on upgrading. The extra stats that Tinc 1.1 could generate would
be largely beneficial.

Thank you,
Mark Lopez