Purging info about a deleted node

Gian Piero Carrubba gpiero at rm-rf.it
Wed Aug 6 21:24:32 CEST 2014

Hello all,

this is just a minor nuisance but nevertheless I would not dislike a
solution for it.

I run a mixed 1.0/1.1 VPN. Some time ago I've removed a node from the
VPN (wiped the disk, so deleting the private keys). Over the time I've
removed the corresponding public keys (among with all the infos related
to the node) from the other nodes. All nodes have been restarted more
than once since the deletion of the files related to the removed node.

Problem is that as soon as a node rejoins the VPN, it gets the info
about the removed node from the VPN so that I see the "ghost" node
listed every time I do a `dump nodes` or `dump graph`.
Shutting down all the nodes at the same time just for forgetting the
removed node is not an option, so I was wondering if there is (or is
planned) a way for forcing a purge of such infos.

Also, I would consider the distributed "persisting" infos about the
deleted node a feature given the mesh nature of tinc. Anyway, the output
of `tinc info` let me wonder if it really is:

Node:         ghost
Address:      unknown port unknown
Last seen:    never
Protocol:     17.0
Reachability: unreachable
Edges:
Subnets:

As there is no info about the subnets, I doubt the data about this node
is useful in any way. Also I'm not sure about the accuracy of the
protocol version, as I'm almost sure it was running a 1.1 release.

Ciao,
Gian Piero.