State graph of UDP data-connections

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Aug 6 13:15:22 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 11:09:05AM +0200, Steffen Vogel wrote:

> How do I can get the current state of UDP data-connections between my
> firewall'd nodes?
>
> - 'dump edges' give me all connections between all nodes of the VPN.
>     The meta-protocol has a command called ADD_EDGE which is used to
> inform other nodes about existing UDP data-connections.
>     This leads to the conclusion that 'dump edges' is used to show UDP
> data-connections.
>     But as far as I can tell from my tests, these are only the TCP
> meta-connections.

The ADD_EDGE messages are only sent for meta-connections, not for direct
UDP connections. The state of UDP connections is not communicated
amongst nodes. You can find out if the local node has a UDP connection
with another node (say, "foo") by using the command:

tinc info foo

This should give some information about node foo. There is one line
starting with "Reachability:" that will tell you about how tinc will
send packets to that node. It can either be:

- unreachable: the node cannot be reached in any way currently.

- unknown: the node is reachable but the local node has not (yet) tried
  to communicate with it directly.

- indirectly via ...: the node cannot be reached directly, packets will
  be forwarded by an intermediate node.

- directly with UDP: packets will be sent directly using UDP.

- directly with TCP: the local node has a meta connection with foo, but
  UDP doesn't work, so it will send the packets via the TCP connection.