Tinc Network Spikes

Mark Lopez m at silvenga.com
Mon Aug 4 07:02:14 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've recently moved from OpenVPN to Tinc for the mesh setup. Everything works nicely except for some looping packet issues.

I have 12 servers around the United States, including a couple of moving clients. Every now and then the network is flooded with what I assume is looping packets. 200-300MB of bandwidth per node over 10-45 minutes (normally < 20 KB/s, idle). Most if not all nodes participate in the spike. Some nodes just have a spike on output, some only on input.

I see a bunch of these lines in the logs on all the servers with the spikes, each about one or two other nodes:

```

Got late or replayed packet from <NODE_NAME> (<INTERNAL_IPv6_ADDRESS>%<NETWORK_NAME> port 655), seqno 235266, last received 235410

```

What causes this and is there a way to prevent these spikes? I estimate an extra 4-5GB of extra bandwidth usage per node because of this.

Regards,

Mark Lopez