tinc never using UDP for data

Marwan Gedeon marwan at gedeon.org
Fri Sep 13 22:45:14 CEST 2013

Hello list,
I looked around online but didn't find an answer, so if you can help me
out, I'll appreciate
I'm trying to create a tinc network which transmits data as UDP and not
TCP, because I will pass VoIP traffic on top of it, which would not work
fine if using TCP.
I have configured tinc between 2 machines and it's working fine, default
ports open (UDP 655 and TCP 655) and I have tested with netcat that I
can transmit data over UDP between the 2 hosts
However, whenever I bring up tinc network,and try to transmit files over
it, they are going over TCP.
I have read that tinc will try to use UDP for data and automatically
fall back to TCP, but I can't understand in my case why UDP is not being
used for data.
I appreciate some help to understand why UDP is not used so I fix the
problem causing this and make it used for data transmission.
Thank you