Problem with lost packets

Dariusz Bajszczak b.darek at neostrada.pl
Sat Sep 7 20:12:38 CEST 2013

W dniu 2013-09-06 22:34, Guus Sliepen pisze:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 01:03:56PM +0200, Dariusz Bajszczak wrote:
>
>>      I have problem with lost packets in tinc connection. I have tinc VPN with about 60 nodes (central node with tinc 1.0.20 and 59 nodes with tinc 1.0.9 connecting with central). Everything works fine except 2 nodes. In this nodes I observed about 90 % packet loss in connection to central. In the logs (debug level 5) I don't see any errors. I tested connection with iperf (server in central node). When I use iperf over tinc, 90% packet is lost (10 kbits/s speed), without tinc (with the same protocols and ports, udp and tcp port 654) everything is ok (4 Mbit/s). All nodes have the same version of tinc, identical configuration (except ip address) and firewall. I need help.
> Did you check the logs of the central node AND of the two problematic nodes? Is
> there anything different about those two nodes than the 57 other 1.0.9 nodes?
> If those things don't give you any answers, could you send me the tinc.conf of
> the central node and the two problem nodes, their host config files, and the
> contents of tinc-up on those three nodes? That would give us a better idea of
> your configuration.

Hello,

I found a solution (or workaround) my problem. When I switch tinc to TCP
(TCPOnly=yes) everything is working properly. I do not know why UDP is a
problem. ISP may block packets, but only on port 655, because 654 is
working  correctly. Inone location I tried the two connections, from
other ISPand in both there was a problem. When I countthe number of
packets on the external interface's, in node countabout 680, in central
only about 18.

Best regards,
Darek