Very slow network speed using Tinc

Florent Bautista florent at coppint.com
Mon Oct 21 16:08:26 CEST 2013

Hi all,

We are using Tinc 2.0.22 as a layer 2 VPN between nodes over the Internet.

We are experiencing very slow network speed using Tinc.

Between 2 nodes, we have 150 Mbit/s network speed without Tinc (public
IPv4 to public IPv4 using iperf), and only 3 Mbit/s using Tinc (private
IPv4 to private IPv4).

Here is the configuration of Tinc we use :

AddressFamily = ipv4
BindToInterface = vmbr1
Broadcast = mst
DecrementTTL = no
DirectOnly = no
Forwarding = internal
GraphDumpFile = /tmp/tinc-graph
LocalDiscovery = no
Mode = switch
MACExpire = 30
Name = host1
PrivateKeyFile = /etc/tinc/my_tinc_network/rsa_key.priv
ProcessPriority = high

And for each host :

Address = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Cipher = ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384
Compression = 3
Digest = sha1
MACLength = 20

Each node is Intel Core i7/Xeon powered.

I can see in the graph dump file that every node is connected to each
other (no indirect connections).

What could be the bottleneck of my network ?

If you need some other configuration values, let me know.

Thank you for your help.