tinc 1.0 stop working on XP

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Jun 8 15:51:48 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 08:35:33PM -0300, Raul Dias wrote:

> I have some Windows XP remote machines that need to connect to a VPN.
> Everything was working very well for more than a year. Last week one of this
> XP machines stop working.
>
> The service does not start at boot (I can start it manually).

After booting, check for messages from tinc in the Event Viewer. Or stop tinc,
restart it with the --logfile=C:\... option and then reboot, so everything gets
logged to the given file.

> After manually starting it (services or tincd -n net) there is no
> traffic/ping.
>
> Running with debug 5, I can see the connections.  When pinging it seems to
> go fine, but ping times out.
> It really seems to be a routing problem (or firewall blocking), but I have
> no clue.

With debug 5, what messages does tinc log when you try to ping the other side?
Also, if you run tinc on the other side with debugging, what does it log there?

> The configuration is very simple:
>
> tincd.conf:
>   Name = client1
>   ConnectTo = server
>
> hosts\client1:
>   Subnet = 10.10.119.1/32
>
> client1 tap tcp4 interface:
>   IP: 10.10.119.1
>   Netmask: 255.255.0.0
>   Gateway: empty
>   DNSes: empty
>
> server: 10.10.6.1 (10.10.6.0/24 on hosts).

The configuration looks fine.