PingTimeout

Cédric Lemarchand cedric.lemarchand at ixblue.com
Wed Jul 24 22:08:25 CEST 2013

Le 24 juil. 2013 à 21:55, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> a écrit :

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 09:29:58PM +0200, Cédric Lemarchand wrote:
>
>> I use tinc with QOS, and since some weeks I got problem with tunnel
>> disconnection because the default "Pingtimeout" of 5 sec is reach.
>> I think it happens because of the QOS shappe the tinc traffic (data
>> here) to let some BP for VOIP, but whate is very strange is that the
>> ICMP protocol is not include in the shapping, so tinc would never
>> 'see' latency on the link, even if there is latency caused by the
>> QOS.
>>
>> So the question is does tinc really use ICMP to check remote hosts
>> or use it's own UDP packets ?
>
> Tinc uses its own UDP packets the check other hosts. This is done on purpose,
> so that they don't get a special treatment compared to the regular UDP packets!

Ok, bad news for me then ;-), but its the best implementation choice for most of the uses for sure.
I think there no way to ask tinc to use ICMP for those checks, or classify this cain of Tinc traffic ? (Which use the udp port 655 channel)

Of course the work around is to rise up the timeout value, but I am a bit afraid of the effect in case of "real" latency on the link.