Change Default RSA KeySize

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Jul 18 15:05:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 08:43:43AM +0200, Ronny Tiebel wrote:

> > im currently playing around with the newest tinc1.1pre7 sources...
> >
> > After some tests which were all successful so far, id like to know if its possible to change the
> > default RSA KeySize from 2048 to 4096 (or what ever).
> >
> > For example: its not possible to change the key size when im executing tinc -n NETNAME init NAME
> >
> > Ok, i know that i can pass the key length as parameter when i call tinc generate-keys and so on.
> > But i wonder why i cant set a default value for that...

I'll add a way to set a different key size when doing init. In the mean time,
the workaround is to generate a new set of RSA keys after the init.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:16:21PM +0200, Nick Hibma wrote:

> Eh, does tinc use getopt (or whatever it is called that handles command line
> arguments), and allow to specify defaults in a config file?

Tinc does use getopt, but it doesn't read default key sizes from a config file.
Keep in mind that the "init" command is normally run when you don't have any
config files to start with.