tinc suddenly stops working on mac osx

Remy remy.schleimer at org-it.lu
Fri Jan 25 09:51:42 CET 2013

On 24 janv. 2013, at 11:04, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:08:58AM +0100, Remy wrote:
>
>> I am having a working vpn with tinc in switch mode.
>> But today one node running tinc on OSX (10.8.2) has stopped working, but I have no clue why this happens.
>> I would appreciate any help on this issue.
> [...]
>> 2) tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep tap0
>>
>> Jan 23 23:51:21 banafshe kernel[0]: tap0: attached with 1 suspended link-layer multicast membership(s)
>> Jan 23 23:51:21 banafshe kernel[0]: tap0: failed to restore 1 suspended link-layer multicast membership(s) (err=102)
>> Jan 23 23:51:21 banafshe kernel[0]: tuntap: Fixing address family for tap0
>
> Hm, it looks like this is a bug in the tuntaposx driver, see:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/tuntaposx/bugs/14/

I had a look at this bug. But this one is about a problem with the dhcp client in osx. In my case, I am using a static setup as shown below

>bash-3.2# cat tinc-up
>#! /bin/sh
>ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.136.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0

Based on the bug report, I have tried to reset the interface using ipconfig as follows:

>ipconfig set $INTERFACE none

After this tinc segfaulted a few times. But this morning, I could restart tinc wthout a problem.

Facit:
Problem solved, but cause not explained.

Regards
Remy