tinc 1.1pre4 on Win7x64 --mlock prevents service from starting

Peter Dey tinc at realmtech.net
Thu Jan 24 11:02:08 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:55:49AM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:03:19PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
>
> > > What is the problem with the stop and start commands removing/adding the
> > > service from the registry? That is exactly what tinc 1.0.x does as well.
> > > You
> > > can stop/start the service without altering the registry from the service
> > > control panel, I believe.
> [...]
> > i will try the new version this week.  The tinc service would start up and
> > i could connect albeit with a great deal of latency.  But when stopped, the
> > service would get disabled and then deleted.
>
> But what is the problem with the service getting deleted? It will get added
> again when you do tincctl start.

There's different permissions required to add/delete services and stop/start
them.  Under my setup, normal (non-admin) users can stop/start/restart the
tinc.<netname> service without needing to elevate (since most of them don't have
the administrator password.

If someone were to write a gui around tincctl (perhaps something like openvpn
has), deleting/creating the service when a user simply intends to start/stop it
would probably be undesirable.

I guess the linux equivalent would be if `tincctl stop` deleted the /etc/init.d
start-stop script.

Cheers,
Peter