tincctl localhost timeout

shikkc shikkc at kirktis.net
Tue Jan 15 17:00:53 CET 2013

 On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:54:43 +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> It is even stranger to get connection timeouts to localhost. Could it be
> that
> you have firewall rules blocking connections to port 655?

 I tested this also with the firewall completely disabled, just now.
 Results:

 [00:47:47 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # pidof tincd
 [00:48:13 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # netstat -l -n -p | grep 655
 [00:48:16 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # for table in $(cat /proc/net/ip_tables_names); do
 /sbin/iptables -t ${table} -F; /sbin/iptables -t ${table} -X; done
 [00:48:20 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # for table in $(cat /proc/net/ip_tables_names); do echo "
> -----------------
>  Table: ${table}
> -----------------
> "; /sbin/iptables -t ${table} -L -v; done

 -----------------
  Table: security
 -----------------

 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 31 packets, 1912 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 4 packets, 356 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 41 packets, 7044 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 -----------------
  Table: raw
 -----------------

 Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 35 packets, 2268 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 48 packets, 7864 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 -----------------
  Table: nat
 -----------------

 Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 16 packets, 960 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 16 packets, 960 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 4 packets, 246 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 4 packets, 246 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 -----------------
  Table: mangle
 -----------------

 Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 35 packets, 2268 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 31 packets, 1912 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 4 packets, 356 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 48 packets, 7864 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 52 packets, 8220 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 -----------------
  Table: filter
 -----------------

 Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 31 packets, 1912 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 4 packets, 356 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination

 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 48 packets, 7864 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
 destination
 [00:48:24 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # tincctl --net=<netname> --pidfile
 /var/run/tinc.<netname>.pid start
 [00:48:32 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # pidof tincd
 13700
 [00:48:36 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # netstat -l -n -p | grep 655
 tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:655             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
   13700/tincd
 udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:655             0.0.0.0:*
   13700/tincd
 [00:48:41 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # tincctl --net=<netname>
 --pidfile=/var/run/tinc.<netname>.pid dump nodes
 Cannot connect to 127.0.0.1 port 655: Connection refused
 [00:48:47 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # tincctl --net=<netname>
 --pidfile=/var/run/tinc.<netname>.pid pid
 Cannot connect to 127.0.0.1 port 655: Connection refused
 [00:48:51 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # tincctl --net=<netname>
 --pidfile=/var/run/tinc.<netname>.pid stop
 Cannot connect to 127.0.0.1 port 655: Connection refused
 [00:48:54 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # netstat -l -n -p | grep 655
 tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:655             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
   13700/tincd
 udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:655             0.0.0.0:*
   13700/tincd
 [00:48:56 - ~]
 root@<hostname> # pidof tincd
 13700