tinc 1.1pre4 on Win7x64 coughs on #comment in first line of host file

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:29:18 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:23 AM, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 05:03:28PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
>
>> I have the habit of putting the name of the host within the host file
>> as a comment usually on the first line.  Helps when files are renamed
>> and tracking.  The new version exports  Name = victor and so the old
>> comment style is not necessary.  I would think the new version should
>> still simply ignore lines that begin with the '#' character.
>>
>> For example, a normal host file named victor that also contains the
>> following comment line:
>> #victor
>>
>> tincctl --net=mynet import victor
>>
>> fails with "Junk at the beginning of the input, ignoring."
>> The import hangs and does not seem to work.
>
> The problem is not the comment at the start of the file, it's that the
import
> command does not take another argument. It expects the input on stdin.
So, you
> should write instead:
>
> tincctl --net=mynet import < victor
>
> Also, the import command only properly works for data generated by the
export
> command. If you feed it a raw host config file, it will not work. I'll
clarify
> the manual and have it print an error message when you add arguments after
> "import" or "export".
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
>      Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org>

i thought i tested it both ways, but i probably did not.  i am very pleased
with the ssh examples of exporting and importing.  Slick, but i only have
one node on 1.1pre4.  i had already unix2dos my host files, so not sure
when i will test again.  Will non-root users be able to execute tincctl.exe
import?

It is worth repeating
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation-1.1/tinc_4.html#How-to-configure
*
If you are the owner of bar yourself, and you have SSH access to that
computer, you can also swap the host configuration files using the
following commands:

tincctl -n netname export | ssh bar.example.org tincctl -n netname import
ssh bar.example.org tincctl -n netname export | tincctl -n netname import

*