graphviz

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Dec 27 14:27:12 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 02:06:13PM +0100, Nick Hibma wrote:

> Let’s remember that not everyone wants a singing-and-dancing-Linux-boot-up-screen with colours and full screen animations. I run tincd / tincctl on remote systems with access over a serial console. My terminal is usually set badly because of that, so colour output is of no use and screws up my screen. It bloats the executable.
>
> The output tincctl produces all the output that is needed, and can be rearranged by a Perl script to your liking. Or have it dump json if you like, to make it fully parseable.
>
> UNIX provides a toolbox approach, not an application approach.

I agree with most of that. But adding a few ANSI escape codes to color the
output is hardly bloat. I like the way tools like ls or git handle output:
plain text by default or if it is detected that the output is not to a
terminal, color if requested, and just enough customizability to make it easy
to interface with other tools.

The output of "tinc dump nodes" is quite simple, but not really set in stone.
For example, more information might be added in the future leading to more
columns. Or some might disappear. So the option of a bit more structured output
would help the toolbox approach.