Intermittent TCP connect issues when using tinc 1.0.23 and IPv6

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Dec 27 12:55:13 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:21:28AM +0000, Tom Parrott wrote:

> Unfortunately the TCPOnly option did not work out as reliable aferall.
[...]
> I am surprised no-one else has experienced these issues, which leads
> me to think perhaps tunneling IPv6 inside IPv4 is unusual and I may
> have stumbled on a rare bug.

Tunneling IPv6 inside IPv4 is not unusual, I am using this daily. However, it
might indeed be a bug that is only triggered in rare circumstances.

> Suffice to say I am now confident that it is not the ISP dropping or
> de-prioritising UDP packets.
>
> Hopefully this info will prove useful to improving Tinc, if you need
> more info I would be happy to supply it if I can.

It is not much but it is a datapoint. You say you do have success with PeerVPN.
One difference is that PeerVPN uses UDP exclusively, while tinc uses both TCP
and UDP. Problems with its TCP connections could also cause interruptions of
the tunneled traffic. Another difference is that PeerVPN does not deal with MTU
issues at all, but instead sends UDP packets that are larger than the MTU,
relying on the kernel or routers on the Internet to properly fragment those
packets. That might be more reliable in your case.