Unable to use 8192bit keypair for Tinc VPN 1.0.22

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Aug 20 20:53:43 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:29:23AM +0800, Eric Yau wrote:

> I just tried to use 8192bit keypair for Tinc VPN connection. The connection
> is unable to build up. After reduce the bit of keypair from 8192bit to
> 4096bit. Everything is resumed to normal. How large of public/private RSA
> keypair can support for TINC VPN 1.0.22 on Windows platform?

The limit is independent of the platform. The upper limit is 8192. Tinc should
be able to handle keys of that size. Could you send me the logfile of tinc when
you start it using the options "-d5 --logfile=tinc.log"?

Note that there actually is no requirement that the size of a key is a power of
two. If 8192 bits for some reason does not work, try a smaller number, like
7000, and let me know if that works or not.