UDP hole punching and invitations

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Aug 4 23:11:26 CEST 2013

On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:09:36PM +0200, Dominik George wrote:

> I read about the invitation protocol that will be introduced in 1.1pre8.
>
> Is there any mechanism of UDP hole punching to establish a VPN behind NAT?

Tinc already does UDP hole punching, but it requires you to set up at least one
node which is not behind a NAT, or for which you can set up port forwarding.

When you want to invite some one, the invitation must be created on a node that
is not behind NAT or which has port forwarding set up. The invitation protocol
itself runs over TCP.