LocalDiscovery detecting nodes through tunnel

Lance Fredrickson lancethepants at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 00:39:58 CEST 2013

Yes, I am suggesting those rules I mentioned when you have Local Discovery
enabled.
Let me see if I am understanding correctly.
You now have Local Discovery enabled, and you have applied some firewall
rules that are currently blocking Local Discovery over the VPN.
It sounds like, now that you have applied these firewall rules, Local
Discovery is not working with your actual local machines, and from what you
can tell, Tinc is not sending broadcast packets.

If that is all correct, then I am suggesting your firewall rules are
blocking Tinc's Local Discovery on all interfaces.

You Said.
For now, I went with the iptables solution and discovery is no longer
made on the tunnel. However, for some reason Tinc stopped doing local
discovery completely - I do not see any broadcasts on the LAN. I simply
set LocalDiscovery = yes in tinc.conf, but no broadcasts seem to happen.

I am suggesting that Tinc is still attempting to send broadcasts, but your
iptables rules are preventing it, just as they are preventing broadcasts
over the vpn.

What are your current set of firewall rules you are currently using?

Lance