default gate via tinc

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Nov 29 21:31:57 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 04:13:32PM +0100, Benjamin Henrion wrote:

> > You can give each gateway's Subnet a weight, the one with the lower weight is
> > preferred. Currently, if you have two identical Subnets with the same weight,
> > the one owned by the node whose name sorts lower alphabetically is preferred.
>
> Would it be possible to change that behaviour of sorting alphabetically?

As I already said, the way to indicate a preference is to give the Subnets
different weights. See the description of the Subnet variable in the manual.

> A variable in tinc.conf like Preference = "hosta, hostz, hostc" would
> not be better?

You cannot change the preference locally, this is a limitation in tinc's
protocol when using router mode. But as Narcissus Emi already mentioned, you
can also solve the problem using switch mode.