decrypt udp tunnel

Lucas Aimaretto laimaretto at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:46:10 CEST 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first email to this list.

I've successfully set up a tinc tunnel between my OpenWRT (TPLINK
MR3220) and my laptop (ubuntu 12.04). Routing -I'm using router mode-
works fine and as expected. Awesome!

Now, I was curious and wanted to actually see the udp tunnel protocol
stack. Googling a little bit -does this expression exist?- I've found
out that one could associate each end-point's private-key and
wireshark would do the rest (my guess is that by using the private key
wireshark will then work out the public one in order to decrypt
traffic). However, all the examples that I've found are related to
HTTPS which is not exactly my case since, for example, when issuing
some pings from one peer to the other, the protocol stack of tinc (I'm
guessing) would by like this:

+-----------------------+
| ICMP                  |
+-----------------------+
| IP_remote_LAN         |
+-----------------------+
| SSL (or something)    |
+-----------------------+
| UDP (port 655)        |
| IP_tunnel             |

Has anyone ever tried to decrypt this tinc UDP tunnel?

Many thanks!

Cheers!

Lucas

--
"Antes teníamos hambre y mirábamos el reloj para saber qué hora era.
Ahora miramos el reloj para saber si tenemos hambre." -- Ernesto