switch mode, how to give a public IP behing a NAT

Donald Pearson donaldwhpearson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 19:29:03 CET 2012

2012/3/22 Cédric Lemarchand <cedric.lemarchand at ixblue.com>

>  Le 22/03/12 17:09, Donald Pearson a écrit :
>
> Cédric.
>
>  When you say GATE, do you mean "GATE/NAT" or "GATE/PUB" ?
>
> 2012/3/22 Cédric Lemarchand <cedric.lemarchand at ixblue.com>
>
>>  Le 22/03/12 12:29, Guus Sliepen a écrit :
>>
>>  Video (V1) <==> Node 1 (N1) <=GATE / NAT=> WWW <=GATE / PUB=> Node 2 (N2)
>>
>> V1 has fixed public IP in the range of N2, and the ip of GATE has
>> default gateway.
>>
>>  Hm, but if you want any host on the internet to be able to reach V1, the
>> default gateway for V1 should be N2, not GATE.
>>
>>  This is the goal yes.
>>
>> "N2" and "GATE PUB" are on the same public range, GATE is the default
>> gateway for this public subnet, as i try to extend the ethernet segment of
>> this subnet, V1 should has this default gateway too, right ?
>>

>  I think you mean "gate/pub" here..
>
> Yes.
>

>  Only if you want V1 to use gate/pub to reach the internet.  V1 will
> still need it's own "normal" gateway in order for the VPN to be established
> over the internet so you will at least need a /32 route for N2's IP address
> to use V1's "normal" gateway.  Unless you have a very good reason, you will
> also want V1 to continue to use it's normal gateway to reach other nodes on
> the internet.  You probably want V1 to use the VPN only for access to N2's
> subnet.
>
> The VPN is established by N1 via its interface eth0, providing the
> ethernet VPN on its interface eth1 (which is bridged with the tinc
> interface). V1 only "see" the provided ethernet segment by N1, and got is
> interface directly configured with a fixed public IP, and the default
> gateway "GATE PUB" (the provider's gateway for this publix subnet)

Oh I see, sorry that I missed the detail that N1 owns the Tinc interface.
 So yes the Tinc interface on N1 should be bridged with eth1.  N1's eth1
should have a physical connection to V1, either directly or through a
switch.   If V1 has no other interfaces, and you don't want to multi-home
its interface, and you do want it to be able to route out to the internet;
 Yes it will need to use the IP of gate/pub for its default gateway.

So network configurations should look something like this?

V1:
Eth0 1.0.0.1/24  <-- vpn participating, default route 1.0.0.254 (but not
necessary)

N1:
Eth0 10.10.10.1 <-- default route 10.10.10.254
Br0 1.0.0.2/24  <-- vpn participating
 - eth1
 - tinc

Gate/Nat:
Eth0 10.10.10.254
Eth1 1.2.3.4 (provided by ISP)

Gate/Pub:
Eth0 1.0.0.254/24

N2:
Br0 1.0.0.3/24 <-- vpn particpating, default route 1.0.0.254
 - eth0
 - tinc