Tinc 1.0.17, switch mode and IPv6: set DecrementTTL = no

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Mar 22 17:14:55 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 03:01:26PM +0100, Cédric Lemarchand wrote:

> >> When i try to ping GATE from V1, i can see arp request crossing the VPN
> >> (on both br0 interfaces), packet capture on GATE show the arp reply, but
> >> this arp reply never come back on the bridge br0 of N2. (N2 is using
> >> GATE has default gateway too)
> > I think that is normal. The ARP request is a broadcast packet, so you should
> > see that on all the interfaces. But the ARP reply is a unicast packet, so it is
> > only sent to V1. The bridge on N1 should therefore not forward it to the VPN
> > interface, so N2 will never see this ARP reply.
> Ok, but the thing is dont anderstand is even if the ARP reply is
> unicast, it should cross the VPN to go back to the machine that request
> it ? (i use packet capture on promiscuous mode on the bridge, so i
> should see it)

I just tried to reproduce this and it appears the DecrementTTL option
introduced in tinc 1.0.17, which defaults to "yes", causes neighbor discovery
to fail. This might be the cause of your problems. So try to add this to your
tinc.conf files:

DecrementTTL = no

And let me know of that solves the problem.