random problems with Forwarding=off

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Mar 16 11:44:13 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 01:51:56PM +0330, Siavash Sameni wrote:

> I've added one node to my tinc mesh , with forwarding off , and the network
> got splitted into several pieces !!,
> the thing is that , the node with forwarding off is connected to all hosts
> , directly with connect to ,
> and seems like that for some nodes the shortest path , that the tinc
> network can find is through the node with forwarding off ,

That is correct. And indeed with Forwarding = off, those packets are dropped,
that is exactly what this option is meant to do. Why do you want to use
Forwarding = off?

> i have around 64 nodes in my tinc mesh ,
> i remember our previous admin told me that , when he made full mesh ,
> (connectto to everwhere) , the network became unstable

64 nodes is not an unusual number for tinc. In what way does the network become
unstable?

> is there a limit ?

There is no limit in tinc itself, but if you have slow network connections it
can take a while for tinc to exchange metadata between nodes. If it takes too
long, it might close connections. You can try to increase the value of
PingTimeout in that case.

> should we experience slowdowns or something as the nodes grow ?

It should not be noticably slower, but if you have a lot of nodes joining and
leaving all the time it might.